Saturday, February 11, 2012

Lonely...I'm So Lonely

Stephanie's Confetti quilt
A few years ago I started this quilt for my friend Stephanie but since Christmas it has been relegated to a back corner to be out of the way for all the holiday comings and goings. I've been spending my hand stitching time on the Candied Hexagons so it has been waiting quietly in the wings for me to return to it and I think it might be time for it to resurface because once the warmer weather arrives it's just too hot to try and deal with.















We came across this beautiful Moda Jelly Roll on a little excursion and fell in love with it so home it came and then it was time to find a pattern that worked. After much searching and doodling we landed on a pattern called Confetti that I found in a quilting magazine - I'm not even sure which one any more - proabably an issue of Patchwork and Quilting. The original was done in a scrappy style, and this is close to that except that all of the fabrics are from the same collection. Moda fabrics are my favourite and they didn't disappoint this time around.











It is all hand pieced and now on the frame but progress is S-L-O-W. I am a pokey, pokey quilter. For whatever reason I have not mastered the art of quilting from the top of the quilt with a running stitch - I keep one hand on the top and another on the under side of the quilt and do a stitch at a time, hence the S-L-O-W.

I have to admit that I have a much easier time pulling fabric selections for quilts than I do figuring out the quilting design, so, given the pace that I work at and my desire to finish it and get it to her some time within my lifetime, I opted to stitch along the lines of the blocks. I may do something extra in the border triangles but I am liking the effect so far. Still a long way to go though.

Stephanie is just getting into quilting and she has recently picked up and finished a Log Cabin block that she started a while back, doing a beautiful job of stitching it by hand. I think that she even surprised herself at how nice it is! It's done in three lovely Christmas prints; I'll see if I can get a photo or two to share with you....M

No comments: