Saturday, June 02, 2012

It's Baaack!

It's been well over a month now that my machine was in the shop but its back home now, and, while I have been enjoying my hand stitching, it will be nice to tackle a few projects that I've been wanting to do. One small glitch - the knob that drops the feed dogs was stuck and was not fixed so I was a bit bummed out because I've been wanting to try my hand at free motion quilting on a small project or two. I was prepared to live with it as is though because I didn't want to put things on hold any longer when I had a brain wave. I got out the WD-40, spritzed it a few times, waited a bit, and ta da...we're in business. Gotta say I'm pretty pleased with myself on that one!






Anyway, I've been cutting more blocks for my Flying Geese quilt so that's what I sat down to. My machine is purring like a kitten now so I cruised through several dozen geese in fairly short order (that almost doesn't sound right), and now that I have the swing of things with the Lazy Girl ruler I'm quite enjoying the process.







I still have more trimming to do, but the piles are adding up, which made me pretty happy. Then I made the mistake of looking at the instructions and realized that I need at least 920 geese, 460 in each colour, so I'll be at this for a little while yet!










Recently I found a few more fat quarters to add to the mix - sooo lovely. I might need one or two more greens but I'll cut what I have for now and see where I end up.











I managed to find 4.5 yards of the backing that I want to use in an online shop but it's not going to be quite enough for a queen sized quilt so I need to do some thinking about how to piece the back - me thinks that I'll be making more than 920 geese. This is showing up a bit duller than it really is, probably because the photo was taken in the bat cave, aka my sewing room....M

3 comments:

Doniene said...

It is always nice to the machine running smoothly!! The FG are coming out wonderfully! Love the rich colors!

Blessings

imquilternity said...

This is going to be a very lovely quilt. A newly "tuned-up" sewing machine is the absolutely best, isn't it?

Ellie's Quiltplace said...

I can't wait to see how your finished quilt will look, because I LOVE Fig Tree Fabrics (and I made a Fig Tree Flying Geese quilt myself).
Good luck with sewing the blocks, there are many, but it's a fun job!