I often find that as I close in on the end of a project I will slow down or set it aside, wanting to move on to something else, and my Dresden Plate has been no different - this explains all the UFOs in my universe. All that marking has put me in the mood for sewing, but sewing small blocks, not big backings. So the thought of putting together the backing for it wasn't really high on my list but I did want to get it to the gals to start quilting this week so I buckled down and got on with it.
Recently I picked up yardage of a mottled yellow with white polka dots on sale (I hate paying full price for backings!) and it works well. I had toyed with using a blue & white fabric that I have, or a turquoise, but this one worked best, and I think there's enough to bind it with too.
Because the quilt is so large there was no way that I could just use the width of the backing fabric, either vertically or horizontally, so I inserted a row of bricks the same size as those used for the sashing on the front and bordered it on either side with white. It's nice and it was a way for me to put my stamp on the quilt with fabrics from my stash.
I really like how it turned out. It would be a nice way to make a baby quilt, and fast too.
So, it was all packed up last night with the batting, the thread and a few instructions on how to quilt it, and left at the church this morning for the gals to have their way with it. They are perfectionists so I know they will do a lovely job of quilting it....M