Friday, July 18, 2014

A Minnie Break

When I was digging for prints to finish off the appliqué blossom on mom's Dresden Plate I dug through the bag with hundreds of 2" squares that I am using to make my Postage Stamp. I pulled it out thinking that I would switch up some of my hand stitching from Minnie and move this one along a little bit.












I need to finish off one row with 5 blocks to get a straight edge along the bottom of the panel that is sewn so far, so I started there (just below the left side of the area that I've highlighted in yellow). It would have helped if I had looked at the sketch a little closer. I made, and attached, 5 blocks (25 squares in each block) but, after I got it sewn on, I realized that every second block should have had a V of pink/orange squares in it. That's why there are patterns, right? So that we read them, right? Right. Arrrrrgh!



So it's back to the drawing board. All the blocks that I need are now stitched but I haven't yet been able to bring myself to rip out the first set that I did. Soon.

Every time I lay this one out I think I should have done a better job of placing the colours so that the plum and pink squares weaving through the border stand out a little more, but then I catch it from another angle and I think it will be fine. It's a traditional Postage Stamp and made from a zillion scraps so I will content myself with knowing that the pattern is there, even if it is subtle....M

3 comments:

antique quilter said...

I love this keep going. I am making a postage stamp quilt now too, I make my blocks 100 squares of 1" finished at a time. I don't have a color plan as you do though. looking forward to seeing more how you planned this all out.
thanks for sharing.
isn' t it fun just to look at all these fabrics?
kathie

Chantal said...

I agree, it sure is fun to look at all these fabrics. It looks so yummy. Can't wait to see it all done. Great work.

Susan said...

Very patient to make the postage stamp quilt. I think it will work out fine, and what a fabulous history of fabrics you will have in it.