Saturday, August 09, 2014

The Back Story

A few of you have asked for more details about the Danuta's Garden quilt that Jane, Linda and I are all now working on, so I thought I'd share a bit of the back story on it.

Mom and I made this quilt for a friend of Anne's in the late 90s. I had found it in an ad in a quilting magazine so we drafted it and put it together. The original pattern was shown in very traditional, muted tones - lots of browns and creams and a bit of pink - but we made with a wide variety of florals and a yellow print for the block and sashing backgrounds.

I didn't pay much attention to the quilt name but still have the dog eared clipping.
















The other day I happened to turn it over. Imagine my surprise when I realized that it is a Civil War pattern (who knew??!).

Designed by Patchwork On Stonleigh, it came out after Judie Rothermel released her first Civil War fabric collection, and apparently was very popular - it sounds like she sold tons of patterns and did lots of workshops on it; it doesn't appear to be available any longer. Surprisingly, I haven't been able to find other images of it online, with the exception of this one at Julia's Place






It's amazing how different it looks in brighter fabrics.

We're using 3" blocks for the 9-patches (actually, I think that mine are just a tad smaller) and everything flows from there. We also continue the Ohio Star blocks into the corners rather than the 4 different blocks in the original design.

Now that I have a little string of sashing together it will be fun to compare it to Linda and Jane's....M

1 comment:

Ulla's Quilt World said...

Looks so nice! :)
Greetings from Finland!
Hugs, Ulla