Tuesday, January 19, 2016

Sticks & Stars

Remember these improv trees that I was playing with in the fall after Jane and I experimented with them? Well, while she was off to the races and whipping up autumn wall hangings with hers I'm still trying to figure out how mine will come together. While I ponder the possibilities they enjoy the small design wall all to themselves.












All that I have resolved so far is that I want a winter forest feel and I want to include some wonky stars, maybe some subtle HSTs. I suspect that the background with be a scrappy collection of prints, but I don't want that to take away from the trees. And I don't think I want to add more trees, so this could be a small quilt but I'll lay it out on a larger design wall soon and see if that changes.









So, while I ponder, I play. I've been testing out wonky star options - teenie tiny fun! I made the first one with 2 1/2" blocks, which finish up at 6" but I think it's too large for all of them given the size of the trees...













so I changed to 1 1/2" blocks to end up with a 3" star and I like that much better. I think it still needs another size added to the mix so I'll try one or two with  2" blocks so there's lots of variety.














They are in yellows and golds and creams with a little blue, aqua and pink tossed in.
















One of the lamps in the sewing room is on the fritz so it's darker in one corner than usual, which means that I've been trying to get a read as to whether they are a good fit in really poor lighting. Today I brought the board upstairs into better light and I think that the next couple of stars also need to be a little stronger. So, I inch along with this one. I guess the next step is to try to figure out the background....M

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

How about using some of the Beach Glass scraps to make a strip sashing to go in between the blocks? I think the blues and greys would look great with these trees and go along with the wintry theme.Keep up the good work!

Anne said...

I love the winter trees. I love the randomness of the trees and the sizes. How about some snowflakes in there? Could be time to bring back your embroidery skills.

Pinkadot Quilts said...

Very Nice!

Kyle said...

I like the subtle colors. It does have the feel of winter.

Anonymous said...

Marie: I love where you're going with this.....keep going, it's lovely and subtle with a very wintery feel. Like the idea of snowflakes, maybe some fabric with snowflakes in a low key color. Lindiana

paulette said...

I'm loving the addition of the stars! Very nice!!

Quilting Babcia said...

I really like where this is headed. Those wonky stars are a perfect complement to the trees.

Sandi said...

I made one of those trees to go with a bird swap I did a bit ago. I'm also hoping to make some more of them. I like the direction you are headed with your piece.

bettyb said...

Love it! I like the random layout -- nicely illustrates a snow-covered landscape.