Thursday, February 11, 2016

Scrap Baskets - Literally

Back in early January an attempt to clean up my cutting table ended up as a good excuse to sit down and sew scrappy blocks together that are the beginnings of improv baskets รก la Freddy Moran or Gwen Marston, bright and fun.













At least I think that they are. When I see them all together I see flower pots waiting for bright red improv geraniums rather than baskets, but that might change once I put handles on them. Or maybe the idea of the geraniums will take root.












It was fun to just keep digging into the pile of scraps and seeing what the end result would be. I worked quickly, forcing myself not to think too much because I don't do 'random' all that easily, and in no time I had a dozen baskets about 8" wide and anywhere from 6 - 10" tall.










Each one has its own personality, but I found it interesting that as I trimmed them I tended to angle the top edge up and to the right. Not sure what that says about me, if anything.













I tried very hard to keep it to just scraps but there were two or three cuts made into the stash to help round out the variety, but that was it.














You've seen this quilt before. It's a page from an old calendar and one that is never far away from my design wall.














My baskets are much larger and brighter and more scrappy than these but I do like the way they were put together and surrounded with hexies. I think a slightly different approach is in order but there is a nugget of something here that keeps pulling me back....M

8 comments:

Kate said...

Marie, they make me think of flower pots - beautiful flower pots!

The Cozy Quilter said...

Love your flower pots/baskets. They have definite personality!! Gwen and Freddy would love them too. I am working on some liberated baskets too. I have two more to finish and then I can get them into a quilt...I keep getting distracted by other projects...

Gail

audrey said...

These will look wonderful as baskets! Love the idea. And your inspiration piece is a beautiful spark.:)

sewyouquilt2 said...

looking great so far. love to make that scrappy fabric out of bits and bobs. fun fun no thinking sewing

Anonymous said...

up and to the right means a very positive outlook on life, which is true of you. Lindiana xo

Kyle said...

Pots or baskets either way is super cute. I admire your ablitity to be random

Kaja said...

These will make great baskets: I love the bright tones you are using but also like the inspiration piece: I'll be very interested to see where it leads you with your setting.

Karen H said...

The calendar quilt is gorgeous and I think that a variation made with your scrappy baskets would make a lovely cheerful quilt!