Sunday, March 13, 2016

Getting a Handle on Things

Three basket bases are now together so it's time to tackle the handles.















The instructions call for using a bias tape maker with an iron-on strip but I wasn't keen on that so I tried another method that I'd read about. I cut 12" x 1.5" strips on the bias, sewed them lengthwise, wrong sides together, and then pressed the seam toward the back. Worked like a charm.

There's a template included in the book to help with placement, which was nice. It would have been easier if I had copied the page as the book wasn't sitting flat, but I got there.





This is what the full Basket of Scraps quilt looks like.















I was drawn to the applique branches and blossoms that Edyta had designed but I don't know that I will do that if these are going to be a table runner. Maybe a little bit of it will find its way in...












So I've got three handles that now need to be sewn down - a perfect way to spend for a Sunday afternoon....M



13 comments:

Kate said...

Those handles look tricky, Marie.

marina said...

It's going to be gorgeous, your handles look so perfect.

The Cozy Quilter said...

I made a bunch of little basket blocks (4") and machine sewed the handles down doing the inner curve first and then the outer curve. Your hand stitched handles are going to be perfect for your scrappy baskets.

Nancy said...

I can't tell you how much I love these baskets, Marie. Baskets don't generally draw my interest or attention, but these... well, these are spectacular. I haven't needed to do bias on anything but I did read about this method you used for handles and I'm glad to know it works (and that it's not just an idea in a book somewhere). Wherever I read it also suggested it would work for vines and stems. Thanks for sharing your baskets and the source of your pattern.
--Nancy. (ndmessier @ aol.com, joyforgrace.blogspot.com)

Raewyn said...

This is a lovely project, I haven't seen inside this book of Edyta's yet so may have to! Your handles look perfect...happy stitching!

Anonymous said...

Hi Marie: really love the full basket quilt, and a table runner would be lovely as well. Am just starting the applique and making the vines for Allie's wedding quilt and have cut bias strips too. Hope to start the panels next week and show you my progress at the Girl's w/e, that's coming soon. Good job on the baskets, love the little one inch finished squares. Lindiana xo

Jeanne said...

Looking good! This will be a lovely quilt!

CathieJ said...

I love those scrappy baskets. This is going to be a great table runner. I think your handles look great. I have used the method for your before and I liked the way it came out. Enjoy your stitching.

Kyle said...

Great addition of the handles. Did you use bias bars to press your bias pieces? With perfect edges the handles are pretty easy and fun to applique. It's going to make a lovely table runner.

audrey said...

That method works wonderfully for bias unless you're doing a very tight curve. I use it all the time.:) Your basket handles look great!

Katie Cogswell said...

Lovely :)

Karen H said...

So pretty and such a great way to use scraps.

Sue... said...

Looking great, I love scrappy baskets:))