Sunday, July 03, 2016

One. Two. Three. Four...

Until today, it's been a cool and rainy Canada Day weekend which has been a little disappointing for getting out and about to the festivities, but it's been great weather for hand stitching.














I'm sewing the rows for Danuta's Garden and have three together and the fourth on the way.















Things go quite quickly when you are sewing longer seams than always cutting threads for the tiny one and two-inch seams, and I'm loving how the tiny blocks in the sashing look against the nine patches.













With any luck at all I'll get through rows four and five  of six today. Regardless, it is a beautiful day and will be a nice finish to our long weekend.














There were lots of fresh cherries in the house so I thought I'd whip up a little sweet with them - you know, something red and white for Canada Day. Lucy Waverman's rustic Cherry Crostada with Cream Cheese Crust seemed like a good bet.













I was a tad short on the lime that I needed to mix in with the fruit and I think I gave the dough one too many spins in the food processor because it was a little tougher than I would have liked, but the Official Cookie Tester was more than happy with it, so I guess it turned out okay.











Ina Garten's crostada is still my favourite but it's early for both peaches and plums so this was a good second choice. If you like cherries, give it a try.

Happy belated Canada Day everyone!....M

9 comments:

The Cozy Quilter said...

That dessert looks yummy and those little four patches in the sashing are adorable!

marina said...

Great progress on getting your blocks together!
The colours are amazing
Your cherry pie looks delicious I can imagine the arose from here

CathieJ said...

Your quilt is looking beautiful and that cherry crostada looks delicious

cozykoza32a@gmail.com said...

The fabrics you have chosen are yummy. Can yu please send me a taste of you desert?
Kathleen Mary
https://kathysnest32.wordpress.com/

Ada Plouvier-Kopitopoulou said...

Lovely fabrics and pattern. The cherry sweet looks delicious.

Anonymous said...

Hi Marie: WOW you are making such great progress on your Danuta's garden quilt. Love the myriad of colors and florals. She's a bauty. Unfortunately haven't had time to focus on mine, itching to get back to it.Lindiana xo

Anne said...

Beautiful! It will be together before you know it.

Sarah said...

Nice pattern and your fabrics are scrummy!

Kyle said...

Oh, yes, your dessert looks terrific. I love crostatas. It would be fun to try it with the sweet cherries!