Sunday, July 10, 2016

Sunday With Sue

Another birthday rolled around recently and Anne surprised me with a little gift à la folk artists Sue Spargo - a lovely book called Stitches to Savor. The pretty little bird was complements of Betty.













I love the creativity in the vast collection of Sue's detailed handwork patterns and stitches worked in wool and cotton, and her use of fun, bright colours.













How can you resist all of those teenie, tiny details?














New to me - and equally appealing - was her work in a neutral palette. Against that pebbled quilted background it reminds me of beach stones. Very soothing.













As the review says, 'for sumptuous texture and depth, nothing compares to the handwork quilts of Sue Spargo'.














It's a beautiful visual reference but I would also have been happy if it had included instructions for a few of the stitches. Regardless, today I'll be pouring through the pages imagining all of the projects that I will could make....M



3 comments:

Sandi said...

I love this wonderful coffee table book, I also have one. The photography is so lovely.

Are you award of her instructional book called Creative Stiching, it is also a good resource to own.

marina said...

Looks like a very inspiring book.
Love the details in the projects.....especially that little fat bee.
Hopefully we will see a project in your future

Kyle said...

Sue's work is amazing. Her mastery of embroidery for texture and relief is so creative. Looks like your book will be a wonderful resource. I also have her book, Creative Stitches, and have been following along with her free blocks call Instastitch which you can find on her website.