Monday, April 17, 2017

Easter Treats

There's been some baking going on for Easter, and some yummy baking at that. Betty found a recipe for a Grapefruit Curd Tart with Black Pepper Pastry. I don't know that it would ever have occurred to me to make a tart with grapefruit (let alone put black pepper in the crust), but I'm very glad that I did. It was the perfect dessert after our ham dinner.











I was a little concerned because the crust was quite thick, but it was very nice - like eating a shortbread biscuit with the curd. The Official Cookie Tester gave it a thumbs up, as did everyone else, so this one will be a keeper.












Then I tried a Plum Loaf. I'd seen plums in the grocery store and just knew that they were coming home with me - not sure for what, but this loaf turned out to be the answer.

It calls for margarine but I used unsalted butter and it was very nice.










I also added about half a teaspoon of cinnamon to the brown sugar topping and it was a nice touch. I've got enough for a second one so I think I'll make it, maybe add a little candied ginger, and freeze it. Another favourable review from the Official Cookie Tester.











After that it was time to pull some fabrics for a few more Anna Levens blocks. I had a mauve ring of hexies all ready to go but after looking at the pattern again I wasn't sure that there was enough pattern in the print.












So I pulled several more and am playing with new combinations.















I also found a green that I'd forgotten about which I think will work well for one of the hexie rings. Now I probably have too many options but I'll see where this takes me....M


4 comments:

Connie said...

Yum, yum and yum! Pretty fabric choice, too. It looks like you will be having fun sewing this week :)

Kate said...

Marie, grapefruit curd tarte with black pepper pastry sounds absolutely divine!!

Kyle said...

If the official Cookie Tester gives your recipes a thumbs up, then they must be great. Have fun playing with the fabrics do. Sometimes that's the most fun!

Jimy said...

Yummy, love the tarts and I believe they are delicious as well. Fabric also looks good, you surely have good choice