Saturday, August 12, 2017

Tough Love

It's always interesting for me to learn how people came to be quilters. Our good friend Martin started quilting some time after Jane did and has made several beautiful quilts. Betty recently laundered one of them so it got us chatting about how he got started. Jane was the motivator behind that so, here, in her words, is how it went down.











"He was looking through magazines one day at the cottage and comes upon a photo of a quilt on a bed. He says to me, "That's the quilt I'd like you to make for me." I look at it and say, "I would be so bored doing that quilt because it is just big squares put together. If you want that quilt, then you are going to have to make it yourself!" And he replies, "Okay, then I WILL make it myself!"








When he went back to Toronto he went shopping for the fabrics, bought a sewing machine and signed up for a course on how to machine quilt. Within the year he had made the quilt and quilted it. That was about 8 or 9 years ago, and he has since made about six more quilts. I'm proud to have refused his request, because it spurred him on to prove to me that he could make his own quilt."








Appropriately, it's made of a beautiful collection of shirting fabrics (Martin is a clothes horse with amazing taste). He's working abroad right now so the quilt gets to live at Jane's cottage, which isn't a bad deal at all. They also happen to be perfect sand and sea colours for the lake.










Looks like she might have a tussle with Baylea to get it back though...

And since we're talking about Jane, she is just a fountain of knowledge. She sent me these Pinterest words of wisdom a while ago: 'Dinosaurs didn't sew, now they are extinct. Coincidence?' Something to think about 😉....M

4 comments:

Quilting Babcia said...

Wonderful words of wisdom! And a beautiful first quilt! Thanks for sharing.

The Cozy Quilter said...

I've always loved blue and yellow together. This is a lovely quilt.

Kyle said...

Jane's tough love must have just the motivation Martin needed. His blue and yellow quilt is delightful.

Unknown said...

These are wonderful little blocks! Nesting the seams does help tremendously, but I'm always nervous to go sans pins! These turned out great!

หนังใหม่